Sunday, March 17, 2013

Special guest Sunday- Leona Bushman

Hello, everyone, please help me welcome Leona Bushman in a special about writing.

_______


Hi
I'm going to talk about writing. Duh? LOL I recently released two anthologies, Crimson, and Serviced, with Breathless Press and have things ever been nuts!! Which brings me to this blog post—finding time to write.
It's easy to think, "Oh, I'd like to write a book." But harder to execute. I'm a fast typist. Seriously fast when I know what I want to say. So, for me, my writing goal is and should be, 3k+ a day when I work elsewhere. I can tell you right now that I don't make that.
I've had health issues preventing that and now I'm working three other jobs. All related to writing and the publishing business, but still, time sucks. Yet, I have managed to write and edit for my CP. You have to make time. If you're not feeling particularly creative, edit your own work, read a book (yes, this is part of writing!), outline the next idea (er, I don't do this much. I take notes if I need to remember something ;P), network, read blogs about writing, etc.
Do something. And be honest with yourself. If you're not feeling well, just networking may take up a lot of energy. But don't cheat yourself. If it's your dream, your work, make sure you're doing the best you can. But also, GIVE YOURSELF A DAY OFF. At least one, better two. Trust me. You'll burn out way faster if you don't. And, there will be plenty of times, after you have a contract, that you won't get to choose to have a day off. I didn't have a day off of my jobs and writing until Thursday. This last Thursday, since before Serviced and Crimson released, March 1. I did take a few days slower/easier as I was sicker than a dog on a hot summer day with no water, but I still wrote, edited, marketed, every day. I think, I may have done some marketing on Thursday, but I'm going to pretend I didn't, so I think I have a day off.
Read, write, work, and play. Your life will be full. And if you have kids, well, you'll forget what the meaning of sleep is. But when you see your cover, whether the first time or the thirtieth, it'll be worth it.
Thanks for dropping by today And now, back to writing!

 




_____

Wow, Leona, I'm really glad you stopped by.  I know I have had the problem of over-working myself.  Great advice.  Thanks so much for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Leona! I agree if it's your dream Go For It! Find the time to write. Sometimes it feels like there is no time, but a scribbled sentence here and there add up before you know it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! It does. I used to not write if I couldn't do an hour. But then I started to write whether it was a hundred words, 500, or 5000. It's why I now have three stand alones and 3 anthologies out...It adds up!!

      Delete